In other great news, we got solar panels installed this summer. They were turned on in August but we have had a number of inspection from electrical and building to our final state inspection this week. So here we are:
We got a smaller system, approx. 40% of our needs will be supplied by solar, due to some roofing limitations. We decided to lease our system mostly due to financial reasons i.e. no money down. My husband does wish we owned them but we both agreed that going into debt was not worth it. I think that leasing them is the perfect solution for us because"
- It didn't cost us anything.
- Should any maintenance be needed, it isn't something we need to do. Repairs don't cost us anything.
- We do no pay the insurance on them.
- It is a 20 year lease. Hopefully in 20 years, when they are removed free of charge, the technology will cost less and be much better.
- Also, should we need to replace our roof, they will remove them for free and once the new roof has been installed they will put the latest i.e new panels up in their place without extending the lease.
- Finally, although we are not planning on selling our house, should we need to, we can just sell them to the next owners.
Do you have solar?
This article was shared on Natural Family Friday, From the Farm Blog Hop,