As a member of Zulily, I receive a free subscription to Family Fun magazine. While this isn't a magazine I would choose to subscribe to, it often has good recipes and travel information (that some day I will use). The only drawbacks to this recipe are 1. zucchinis are a summer vegetable (and I am extremely late in posting this and 2. it requires a little time to assemble. That said, it is easily something the kids can help you with.
Taco Stuffed Zucchini
2 lbs of organic zucchini (either a couple of small ones or a large one)
1 lb organic ground pork
1 c. organic sweet corn (I used frozen)
1 small organic red onion
1 organic egg
3 cloves organic garlic (A spicier variety preferred)
1 tsp. organic chili powder
1 tsp. salt
shredded cheese (I used Parmesan)
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Trim ends and halve zucchinis lengthwise. Trim a thin slice from the curved side of zucchini so that it lays flat.
3. Remove seeds from the center of each zucchini.
4. Combine meat, corn, onion, egg, garlic, chili powder, and salt together until well blended. I used my KitchenAid Mixer to make life easier.
5. Pack each zucchini with meat mixture.
6. Bake for 40 minutes then turn off the oven, top with cheese and allow the zucchinis to sit in the oven with the door cracked for 5 minutes or while you make the salsa.
*7. Chop tomatoes and add minced garlic, salt, pepper and cilantro to make a fresh salsa. If tomatoes are not in season, feel free to use a jar of salsa.
The verdict? (A grainy picture because it smelled so good the kids were having trouble waiting!) Seriously though, these were delicious. We all thought is was a winner. This winter I am hoping to try the same recipe inside a winter squash, although I will precook the winter squash for at least 30 minutes i.e. while I mix the other ingredients so the squash can cook thoroughly.
If you aren't a huge fan or squash, you could easily make a meatloaf style meal, topped with salsa and served with bread, flour tortillas or even chips. The next day we had barely 1/2 a cup leftover and the boys argued over who got the last bite.